Friday, May 29, 2015

Dreaming of a Castle in Scotland



The other day I walked into a conversation between my husband and my 13 year-old son. My son posed the question, "If we discovered that we were gifted a huge, old, beautiful castle in Scotland, would we move there?" What a great question, right!?! I guarantee when I was 13, I wasn't thinking past the cute boy in my homeroom class, let alone living in Scotland! If you knew my son, you would know that this actually isn't an unusual thought for him. He loves medieval European history and Scottish history in particular. The surprising thing to me was my husband's response. You see, I probably would have said something like, "yeah, that'd be cool", and then moved on with the laundry or whatever else I was doing. But not my husband. He began to ask questions. Questions about the castle, the location, the proximity to other things. Questions about school, church, and community. They explored the possibility of attracting tourist and maybe even inviting our whole entire extended family to live. The conversation lasted for some time as they discussed many "what if" facets to the question. How awesome is that man I married! He granted my son permission to dream. Permission to dream about adventure. Permission to dream about risk. Permission to dream about possibilities. And for a brief few moments, in his mind, my son was packing his things, saying goodbye, and beginning his adventurous new life in Scotland. It was probably the next day that my son told me that he was going to save all his money to pay for plane tickets to visit Scotland for himself and my husband. He explained the currency exchange rate and how things would be less expensive there. I just hope they plan to come back for the rest of the family!
My amazing husband turns 41, and my youngest cookie turns 8! I love my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment