Friday, June 5, 2015

Finding Your Passion!

 My mad scientist dissecting a lightbulb. Cookie#4, 2015

Did you know that Thomas Edison took naps on a table in the middle of his laboratory using books for pillows? Seriously! He wouldn't eat or sleep until he absolutely had to. He would awake in the middle of the night with an idea and get right to work. He was madly passionate about his experiments and as a result was one of the most prolific inventors of his time; holding over 1000 patents (singly or jointly). Amazing! Something inside of me stirs when I encounter a passionate person like Thomas Edison.

I find myself attracted to passionate people. I love their energy. There is something special about someone who finds that something that they CAN NOT NOT DO! You know the type- those who are incredibly busy running carpool, managing meal time, kissing scraped knees, coaching little league, proof-reading homework, putting up pony tails, and on and on; but still have time to compose, write, design, photograph, build, invent, sell, dream. That is so inspiring to me!

What makes people so different? Why don't we all have that passionate "Thomas Edison Trait?" Well, I think we do! We may have set it aside, lost it, or perhaps we have been discouraged and have given up but that doesn't mean it's not there. Our challenge: To find it! Not that we're all going to quit our day job (although I'm thinking about it) but we can at least inject an added burst of joy into our lives. Our passions, hobbies, and talents make us interesting. They make us different. And pursuing them gives us energy. There is a reason why those carpool running, meal making, proof-reading moms, can do it all AND persue their passion- they are energized by their creations. Now, please do not misunderstand, we all love our children and are passionate about taking care of them first, but we need to have a creative outlet to keep us charged up.

So, let's do it! Start a club. Host a party. Create a business. Join a team. Start a blog. Choose a hashtag. Purchase supplies. Draw up plans. Eliminate distractions. Let's find that certain something we can't live without. Go!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for another dose of inspiration. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, Adria! I'll tell you what...your trip to Italy inspired me. We need to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post!! You are really good at these! And I couldn't agree more—we all need a creative outlet. So happy that I found mine! :)

    ReplyDelete