Friday, June 19, 2015

Summer Camp, Week 1


Last night I slept with my window opened to the sound of the poring rain. It wasn't as cold as it has been; I slept without my sweatshirt and my socks.  I'm still sleeping with 3 blankets on my bed though. They say this is typical of a early summer in the northeast. It will warm up, they say. For now I wear my rain boots for half the day (everyday) because the rain or the thick dew would leave any other shoes soaked. Good thing I followed the packing list! The cold hasn't bothered me much, especially because of the nice, warm indoor fires we have enjoyed.

My roommate is a sweetheart. She's quite a bit younger than me but we get along well. I was anxious to make a genuine connection with somebody, and I did with her. We stay up late and share about our lives. We have our own small room which is part of a larger cabin; it's nice. She's a world traveler with lots of interesting stories to tell. We have about 5 other international counselors, which adds a really nice dynamic and most definitely supports the original camp vision of promoting peace and understanding throughout the world.

One of my main responsibilities here at camp is working with the kitchen staff to make sure all runs smoothly and efficiently. I don't have a ton of kitchen experience but I do know how to troubleshoot and problem solve. You know I've started many spreadsheets collecting data about quantities, waste, expenses,etc. I'm kind of really enjoying the challenge. I 'm doing some office work as well. It's one more week until the campers arrive and things will get crazy. I'm looking forward to that. For now the staff and counselors are getting certified in CPR, RTE, and some in Life Guarding, to be ready for the children to arrive.

There is a lot to this! I've had to talk myself down from a few anxiety ridden thoughts. I know, I'm an adult but that doesn't mean it's easy to leave your home and your family, make friends, start a new job, and everything in between. I think I'll be able to relate well to the first time campers : ) I miss my family but so far so good. We Face Timed last night and it was great to see their loving faces. It helps that I have a rock solid husband who can handle just about everything. He's the best. I miss his hugs.

My mom arrives this week to stay with the kids. I'm so thankful. I'm hoping they have a wonderful time together. Today is CookieFriday. I'm pretty sure that the kids will be baking cookies back at home. If they've forgotten everything else I have ever taught them like table manners, how to make their beds, cleaning up their messes; I'm pretty sure they haven't forgotten how to make cookies.


A beautiful day at camp

1 comment:

  1. I am really enjoying reading about your experiences at camp! We loved having Cookie #2 here for a few days—I hope he enjoyed it as well. :) Miss you tons! Keep smiling, girl. Keep smiling.

    ReplyDelete