Friday, June 26, 2015

Top 5 in my first 2 weeks


Top 5 things I've learned in my first two weeks of camp:

1. It's very nice to show up at meal time and have the meal cooked, served, and cleaned up for you. I could get used to that!

I've been working with the kitchen crew to plan menus, work out schedules, and get organized. We passed health inspection with flying colors! I didn't do anything to help with that but it was exciting none-the-less. #SoManyLawsInNYState

2.  I still remember how to swim!

This week we had to take a swim assessment. I was kinda freaking out about swimming in the freezing cold lake. Okay...I was definitely freaking out. It was so cold that it took my breath away when I jumped in (like Lake Cd'A in June). Anyway, by the time I got in and started swimming I realized how much fun I was having. It's been a long time. Maybe I'll do a polar bear plunge with my campers this year. #FunToBeAKid

3. I will sleep a lot better when there aren't two escaped murdered on the loose somewhere nearby.

I didn't really let this get to me too much. Although I did pretty much walk into every cabin expecting to see two scary guys in there. I did find a little comfort in the fact that we hired security guards to walk through camp all night with big dogs. Well, now that one guy has been shot and killed (just 18 miles down the road) and they are in hot pursuit of the other, I think I'll sleep a little more comfortably tonight. #OneDownOneToGo

4. LICE is real

So, I have learned over the past couple of days that we should totally expect to see lice at camp this summer, and every summer. I thought it was just one of those things that happened every once in a while but...NO! They say kids come to camp with lice! What? seriously! I had no idea. I guess it has to come from somewhere. Today when I was making beds I had to alternate which end of the bed that the pillows go on so that the lice don't jump from one to the other. YUCK! Needless to say, my hair will be up a lot this summer. Oh, and lice don't like greasy hair, so you're not supposed to wash. Wow, where am I??? #NoSharing

UPDATE: We just completed lice check. 1 case of lice! And I helped clean the girls head. No fun. She now has to be brushed out everyday for 2 weeks. What a pain! I'm going to be itching all night long.

5. You can find good people everywhere

This has been such an amazing social experiment for me. It's pretty wild to step into a situation where you leave your life and family and go live and work with people you don't know. At first it's lonely and intimidating but people are really great. I was having a sad moment and one of the young adults came up to me out of the blue and said, "You're going to be the best aid mom. They are so lucky to have you." Wow, that was so nice! It made my night! You can definitely find good people everywhere.

I miss my family. I try not to think too hard about them. When I see pictures they look so big. How can they really have grown that much in 2 weeks! I hope they made cookies today. It's Friday, after all. Thank goodness my amazing mother is home helping to take care of the kids. What an angel! I love her. And I know the kids are having a great time. Only a month until I get to see my boys. I can do it!
Mom and Cookie#4

I was asked to be the aid mom. The aids are 15-17 years old. I went flower picking for the bouquets. I'm looking forward to being their "camp mom."


2 comments:

  1. Sandy I love hearing about your experiences. You are truly one of a kind, you far exceed what I would ever do except check for lice, I have done that many times. hahah I can't wait to hear what you do tomorrow. love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great post! You are a real trooper—especially when dealing with the lice! Lol. Good luck! Sending you lots of hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete