Friday, July 3, 2015

Top 5 of Week 3!

An evening walk to the bridge

1. Summer doesn't begin in the Adirondacks until July 1st, really.

I was beginning to doubt that I was ever going to shed my 5 layers of wet clothing. Seriously, 5 layers! I have been told that July 1st is the first day we can expect it to start to feel like summer. So, yesterday was July 1st and it was rainy and cold but today is July 2nd and it's 75 and sunny. A perfect, not-so-hot summer day. It was a day late but it was worth waiting for; just beautiful! The forecast is warm and sunny for the next 5 days. And just in time for our waterfront, volleyball, slip and slide, greasy watermelon (?) 4th of July party! Fun stuff. Let summer begin!

2. Girls love to go crazy!

The campers have been here for about a week now. There are about 40 of them during these first 2 weeks. The first night I went to dinner with them all, I almost went into shock. It was a sight to see. The songs began at the start of the meal and did not stop for over an hour! I'm talking table slappin', sing-at-the-top-of-your-lungs type songs. A lot of their songs are originals to this camp. Every year, every cabin writes a song to the tune of a popular song on the radio. Some of these songs are super creative and come back year after year. Some only last a few minutes. Anyway, I think I had a mini breakdown after dinner. It was so overwhelming. I asked my fellow table mates if this was going to be a normal meal time activity...they said, "pretty much." Well, one of two things has happened over the course of the week, I've either caught on and joined in, or things have calmed down a little bit. Either way, these girls are amazing and full of energy. P.S. breakfast is a required quieter meal : )

3. Drama always exists in the kitchen.

That's all I care to say about that.

4. 15 years olds can be super sweet.

Like I said last week, I'm the aid mom. That means I help take care of the 15-17 year olds who are training to be counselors. This is one of my favorite things. It definitely fills that void to be a nurturing, care taker. We talk every evening and review their day. We talk about strategies to solve problems they may be having with their cabin kids. We also tackle assignments/projects together. I try to give them lots of praise and encouragement. They tell me I'm an awesome "aid mom" : ) I'm sure that has nothing to do with me making their beds today and leaving a goodie on their pillow. I'm such a mom!

My aids and me!

4. New Yorkers are definitely not from the south!

Okay, that's obvious, but I think I'm starting to figure this all out. You see, in the south, everybody waves to you. Even if they don't know you, they'll wave. You meet somebody new and they are instantly added to your list of friends. You did not have to do anything to earn this status, you are simply awarded the title of "friend." So, here with some of the local "north country" folks, it's the opposite. Upon arrival you are considered an outsider. The kindness, trust, and courtesy is reserved for a friend. In order to become a friend, you have to have done something to earn it. It's not just given automatically. Wow, what a difference. I'm much better off now that I've figured that out. That said, it's only a few of the older staff members I'm referring to. The kids are fantastic! And from all over the world. I love that. There are probably 6 countries represented this session.

I'm staying very busy! The weeks are starting to fly by; that's a good sign. Although I still get overwhelmed with the prospect of owning and running a summer camp; I'm less overcome with fear and anxiety as I'm starting to see things a bit more clearly now. I'm starting to break things down into smaller tasks and roles. Things are starting to make more sense. The jury is still out as to whether or not this lifestyle is right for me and my family. I say "lifestyle" and not "job" because that's what it is; a life long commitment and a way of life. My emotions are a lot like a roller coaster right now, one minute I'm having a great time and the next minute I want to throw up with anxiety. But I'm doing it! and I'm having a great life changing experience.

2 comments:

  1. Sandy!!! I love this blog. It's so fun to hear about everything that you are experiencing. Love and miss you!!!! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love hearing about everything, I could not imagine me doing anything like this, you are a super star Sandy! I wish I were they to see you in action. Love you honey, I think or believe things get easier the longer you do them. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete