Friday, July 24, 2015

Things Are Getting Emotional, Week 6

This view is beautiful but this week I finally went out on the lake and it was breathtaking!

My feet stink, and I don't care. At home, I wash my feet every night before bed. It's just one of those things I do. I also answer emails daily, catch the news headlines, run errands, clean, cook, do laundry, etc. For the past 6 weeks, I have done almost none of that! And boy, does it feel great! It has been such a welcomed break! I actually feel like I live on an entirely different planet. One where you begin and end every meal with a song, where the time of day is dictated by a bugle not a clock, and where you can ignore the condition of your hair and makeup pretty much everyday (for the most part). Aside from phone calls with my family, I've had very little contact with the "outside world."  And I'm not really sure I miss it : )

I want to tell you about a pretty special experience I had this week. Every Sunday evening, the campers are required to go to some form of church. It is either Mass or Inspirational service. I went to the inspirational service and the counselors conducted a very sweet exercise. They invited the girls to sit in a large circle and asked them to close their eyes and keep them closed. They pulled a few girls into the center of the circle (opening their eyes, of course) and asked them to tap on a few girls' head that fit the following descriptions. They called out words like outgoing, empathetic, honest, trusting, leader, inspiring, helpful, and on and on. At first I pushed my chair back out of the circle, thinking I would just help the counselors but I felt a little awkward so I just closed my eyes like the rest of the girls and bowed my head a little bit. I sat and listened to the first few rounds. My eyes were closed and I was resting my chin in my hands. They called out a word, I think it was "encouraging." Unsuspectingly, I felt a tap on the head. What? Was that really meant for me? Somebody had maneuvered behind the first row of girls to come and tap my head? I felt so special. It was almost instantaneous that a smile spread across my face. I could not help it. It felt so nice to be recognized. And it didn't stop there. Word after word, I received a meaningful tap. I could not believe it really. How did these girls know me well enough to have such kind feelings toward me? I guess the simple smile, the meaningful hello, or the brief conversation meant more than I realized. I was lifted. I was genuinely happy. I even had a tear well up in my eye.

I was eventually chosen to come into the circle and be the one giving away the taps. It felt good to receive those taps but nothing compared to seeing the faces of these young girls as they were tapped time and time again by their peers.  The smiles could not be any bigger! Talk about life changing! They were singled out and recognized for being happy, positive, inspiring, helpful, kind hearted, spirited, and on and on. What a wonderful experience! This was all part of the vision for these young girls almost 100 years ago.

Camp is just emotional all around. Yesterday was parent's day. It's kind of like open house for school. Parents get to come and check out the "classroom" and see what their child has been up to. They walk around to their cabins and participate in campfire, etc. A special dinner was hosted for the parents and I was able to attend and meet a few of the parents of these girls that I have been "living with" for the past 6 weeks. Without exception, every parent had tears in their eyes as we talked about the growth of their child and their victories; whether on water-skis, horseback, or with friends in the cabin. That felt so good. So totally rewarding.

Speaking of feeling good...my boys are almost here! They are staying overnight in Southern NY (I don't think that's how you say it). Anyway, they'll be here at lunch tomorrow! I wonder if I'll breakdown like some of the girls when they see their families? I have had a great time but definitely putting on a brave face at times. It will be amazing to have them here. I can share it all with them. I am just counting down the minutes!  And today is Cookie#3's birthday. He turned 11. I can't wait to give him a belated birthday hug and kiss.

In many ways I feel like I have made it. I have met my goal! I have survived! I really did view this experience like my own personal "Survivor." I have done something hard and I am so pleased.

The woods are absolutely beautiful here. Picture perfect with patches of ferns and mossy rocks everwhere.

Our final golf lesson! We had a great time. Wow, golf takes so much patience.


                           
Awards Night. It was pretty spectacular. 

No comments:

Post a Comment