Friday, July 17, 2015

Starting to Fall in Love, Week 5

The charming tunnel leading to the waterfront. The tradition is to kiss your hand, touch the tunnel, and make a wish.

I wish you could see the stars tonight. I don't think I've ever seen such a huge sky of stars before. I feel like we're closer to the heavens here. So peaceful; so beautiful. I think I'm starting to fall in love with the Adirondacks.

It's amazing to think that today marks 5 weeks of camp. In some ways it seems like I just arrived and at the same time it feels like I've been here for months. I must say that it's starting to feel a bit like home. And what does that actually mean, "feels like home?" Well, it means you're comfortable. It means you feel accepted and valued. It means you're safe and happy. It feels so good.

I sleep on the lower bunk in my little bedroom. The mattress is thin and the wood under neither is obviously hard. Yet, somehow I love it. It feels great. I think the firmness is good for my body and by the end of the day I melt into that cozy little nook and immediately drift off. I'm separated from "my girls" by a series of decorated canvas curtains/shower curtains. It does the job. I have a lamp behind the head of my bed that provides just the perfect amount of light late at night or early in the morning. I have folded my beach towel beside my bed to act as a bed side rug (You'd think I would have learned from Andräa to bring my own rug). Late at night I turn on my cell phone light and stick it in the slats of the bunk bed above me and shine it down over me. I read my scriptures or write. It's cozy. It's quiet. I have lots of blankets because it can still get very cold here at night. My favorite is when it's raining. I can hear the gentle sounds of the rain and the rushing water in the stream down below. I guess you could say that I'm starting to feel "at home" and I'm definitely happy.

Some nights I go to bed exhausted. My mind is full of anxious thoughts and loads of self-doubt. But then I wake up the next morning, ready to go. I'm excited for the challenge of a new day and all it may bring. No two days are ever the same.

I can see why these girls love coming to camp, year after year. This is such a unique environment. The girls feel so safe; safe to be themselves. They revert back to being little girls. There is no worry of boys, make up, clothes, phones, school, etc. Everybody is happy, most all the time. It's kind of surreal and magical. Don't get me wrong, girls will be girls, but for the most part everybody is very happy. It is so energizing!

I have been working my tail off. Early on I considered throwing in the towel. It was just too overwhelming. It was too unfamilar, too lonely, too uncomfortable. But deep down I just knew I would never forgive myself if I didn't stick it out.  I needed to see what it was like from beginning to end before I made a decision about this. Wow. I'm so glad I did. I am having a blast. The cold nights, the warm fires, the camp fire songs, the 'smores, the sun bathing at the lake front...yeah, I could get used to this. And I think my family would love this new lifestyle. It's work, a lot of work! It's exhausting 24/7, and I don't know the whole of it, but it's so rewarding. There is nothing like it. I'm sleeping with a smile on my face every night.

I want to send a quick thank you to all of my friends in NC who have so very kindly helped to watch my kids. You have been such a huge blessing! Thank you from the bottom of my heart. We will have to think of a proper way to thank you all. And thanks to all of you for your support with kind FB messages, text messages, phone calls, and even a hand-written letter (Valerie Youngberg ❤️)! I can honestly say that I don't think I would be here without all of your encoruagement. Much love!!!

Let the count down begin. Just 8 days until my boys get here. And congratulations to Anna for passing her driving test! Here we go...

The waterfront

Wednesday mornings, golf lesson with the girls

Dining Hall set for Awards Night. Rustic elegance if you ask me




2 comments:

  1. I loved your post. I can see how you can just fall in love with that lifestyle, it's totally my thing. I can't wait to see the camp, the cabins, the lake, the hiking trails, the horses, boats, the dining hall, all of it. Just keep the information coming. I am off to Girls Camp in the morning wish me luck, I am taking my trailer, that will be new to the campers. Have a great week, and enjoy your family, I bet it will be a great reunion. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete