Friday, June 12, 2015

You're Doing What!?! Mom's Summer Camp Adventure



Today is the first day of the most adventurous thing I've ever done. I guess a few other thing make the list (like getting married and having kids), but this is right up there at the top. Wanna guess?...No, not skydiving; no, not free climbing; no, not sailing around the world...I'm going to summer camp! For 9 weeks!  But that's not the whole of it. You see, for about 2 years now my family and I have been researching the opportunity of owning and running a summer camp. You know...Parent Trap style with cabins and fishing and swimming, etc. In fact, we have gone beyond the research phase and have jumped in with both feet! We sold the house (which we redesigned and remodeled a few years ago) and downsized, big time. We've simplified our lives in order to be prepared financially for when the perfect opportunity presents itself; these things can happen quickly. We decided our final "homework assignment" would be to actually try the role on for size. Although I have been a girls camp director for the past 6 summers, that was only a week long camp. I really haven't had the chance to experience the entire summer. So, I'm off!

I'm heading to a girls camp in Upstate New York. This is the part of the country where camping begin here in the US.  We visited this particular camp last fall and it was absolutely gorgeous! A dream, really. This camp is on the lake, so the girls get to spend the summer swimming, water skiing, sailing, fishing; along with all the other traditional camp activities. It's an international camp, attracting girls and counselors from all over the world. At almost 100 years old, this camp's history is rich and steeped in tradition. I love the priceless photographs of the girls in their bathing suits in the 1920's! And it all began with a young camp leader and her vision for what the world might be if we could all get to know one another. She believed that if girls from all over the could come together and become friends, the world might catch on. What a visionary woman!

I have something in common with this inspired camp leader; I, too, believe that children can change the world. She is a perfect example; she did! In starting her camp, she has changed the lives of countless numbers of youth. She has provided opportunities for learning, trying, failing, leading, playing, helping, meeting, loving, exploring, accepting, discovering, and on and on. In reality, it's bigger than even that. It's much more than just one life being changed. I agree with a wise woman who once said, "When you save a girl, you save generations." Think of the possibilities!

So, my journey begins. I'm excited, mostly. I'm nervous. I'm sad to leave my family (although my husband and boys will join me the last 3 weeks). But mostly I'm ready to begin this ultimate adventure and see if this camp lifestyle is for me and my family. I will plan to post updates on Fridays, if you care to join my journey. Let the camping begin!

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you're off!! The kids will be fine and will appreciate you so much more when you return! Good luck with this amazing adventure. I'll miss you a ton, but can't wait to read/hear about all your experiences. Feel free to call me at night if you get "bored." :) Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you, Kristin! Thank you for your words of encouragement. I'm feeling pretty good now but I'm sure I'll need them in a couple weeks. Pray for me : )

      Delete
  2. I can't believe you're really doing it. I'm so proud of you! Go change the world one girl at a time. Can't wait to hear more. Hugs from Utah!

    ReplyDelete