Friday, May 8, 2015

Turn on Those Hazard Lights!



I hate driving in the rain at night! You know the kind of rain I'm talking about; the kind that makes your palms sweaty and puts all of your senses on high alert. I was caught in that kind of rain just a few weeks ago. The sun was just beginning to set and I was on the freeway headed to a meeting when the rain began. It was raining hard; I was nervous. The water was starting to puddle on the freeway and I could feel my car begin to lose some traction. Before long my wipers couldn't keep up and all I could see was white. I remember learning in my drivers education class that I was supposed to keep my eyes on the white lane lines but they had long disappeared. Up ahead I could see one pair of very faint tail lights but otherwise I was alone. Alone, driving along knowing that I couldn't stop but feeling scared to keep going.

Suddenly I saw some tail lights up ahead. They were bright and flashing; way brighter than the dim lights of the car I had seen before. I locked my eyes on those bright, flashing lights and did not look away. This car had turned on their hazards lights. What a brilliant idea! I could see them; I could follow.  "Thank you!" I felt a serge of confidence, courage, and comfort. I'm not sure why; maybe it was the fact that I wasn't alone and that somebody else was going through the same thing- and surviving! Almost instinctively, I turned on my hazards too. I must not have been the only one to notice because before I knew it, I was driving along in a pack of cars, all shining and flashing their lights to be seen and to light the path for others to follow.

Is this a thing? Maybe it's something that goes on everywhere and I'm just clueless? To me, on that night, it was a blessing. A small miracle.

So, in life, can we not all think of our own personal "bright, flashing light?" Somebody who has gone before and enlightened us; giving us courage, comfort, and hope. Maybe it's a friend, a teacher, a mentor, *a mom (Mother's Day plug). It's amazing how one singe act by one person changed everything. That one car, that one driver, influenced the whole pack of cars. We were then strong and confidant; full of hope. The power of one! I believe in it!

If "one" can have such an impact, maybe I should be doing more. Do I reach out to others as often as I could? Do I offer a hand to somebody in need? Do I take time out of my busy life to think of another? If not, maybe it's time I turn on my bright, flashing lights and light the way. Who knows, I may just end up saving somebody (in one way or another).

The storm cleared; the rain stopped. I was exiting the freeway and the "one" was continuing on. I didn't know them and I never will.  I said (outloud), "Thank you." I almost wished I could have met that person. They would have thought I was weird : )

1 comment:

  1. I love your post. It make me reflect on the past and try to find something that I might have done to lighten someone's way. I am going to try to make a difference in someone's life tomorrow. There has got to be someone out there that needs just a little something. Thank you for the reminder, it's really just the little things that count.

    ReplyDelete