Friday, May 1, 2015

Less is Actually a Whole Lot More!

Why do so many people buy into the idea that more is more? More house, more clothes, more toys= better quality of life, right?  WRONG! Worse than wrong; I actually think that MORE is a WHOLE LOT LESS. And I'm really beginning to understand and believe that LESS is actually a WHOLE LOT MORE! Let me begin to explain.

MORE structured, stressful activities (including traditions) = LESS time enjoying life and doing things that actually work and make us happy!

It's hard to let go of things that seemed important at one time, or things that are important to others but just flat-out aren't that important to you. For example, the birthday party craze. It's out of control! Now, I did do some pretty cool parties when my daughter was young because she loved it, and it was fun for the two of us to do together (valuable. see cool pic below). But my boys, they absolutely don't care! They just want to play with their friends and eat sugar! So, that's what we do; a glorified play date with lots of treats! I may throw up a balloon or two and bake a cake...wait, I take that back; I let the kids that enjoy baking, actually bake the cake. Anyway, the boys always have a fantastic time and I spend very little time stressing about the party. In fact, lately I've been turning it over to my husband even. He simplifies to the max! And everybody is happy. So I'm letting go of the pressure of the over-the-top birthday party.

Cookie#1's "Mulan" inspired birthday party

But guess what birthday tradition we have not let slide? The family dinner. You know, the good old fashioned kind; where the birthday boy or girl gets to choose the menu and receive the "special plate." And then my favorite (which is actually the most meaningful of all) is when everybody goes around the table (guests included) and tells one thing they love about the "celebrity of the day." This is a tradition that I grew up with in my family. After we banned the response, "he/she's nice," we actually managed to share some pretty heartfelt sentiments of love around the dinner table. So much better than a stressful, over-the-top birthday party (unless, of course, that is your thing).


Cookie#1's Sweet 16 family dinner (with great friends, of course) 

Before we leave traditions, I've got one more bone to pick...why do we try to load all of our traditions on top of an already overly stressful time, a holiday! Who ever thought this was a good idea? Yes, let's not only attempt an ambitious dinner menu straight from Martha Stewart's cookbook, but let's also decorate our home to impress the likes of an HGTV designer. And how about we plan to reenact the most important and spiritual event in the history of the world; using children, babies, and live animals as our actors (costumes NOT optional). Oh, wait, don't forget about the homemade pajamas, homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast, cookies for Santa, reindeer poop on the front lawn, and pranks by the Elf-on-the-Shelf; and that's all before the kids go to bed! Does that strike anybody else as CRAZY! Way too much! More is way, way less here.

A veery simple Nativity, ca. 2004

We started a new tradition in our family; it actually started on it's own (*hint, hint these are the best kinds!). It's has nothing to do with any national holiday but is none-the-less special in our home; It's CookieFriday. That's actually all it is, cookies every Friday. I don't even get fancy with the kind of cookies; it's always chocolate chip. I know the recipe by heart, I always have the ingredients on hand, and it can be done in 20 minutes, clean up included. The kids love it, I love it, my husband loves it. It's such a fantastic way to celebrate the end of a hard working, busy week and a great way to kick off the weekend. We have held this tradition for probably about 5 years now. I don't think there has been more than a handful of times we have missed it. Why is CookieFriday a great tradition? Because it works! It's easy. It's stress free. And never once have I screamed, lost my cool, or had a meltdown over CookieFriday. Now that's a tradition that will be passed down to the generations (even my 16 year-old daughter says so)!


CookieFriday today! No, we weren't done mixing. The boys made them all by themselves!

Okay, that one example took way more words than I thought! But I think it's worth some consideration. Do we do things just because we've always done them that way or because we grew up doing it? Perhaps we should ask ourselves, "Does this activity or tradition work? Does it bless my family? Are we likely to be able to keep this up?" If not, dump it!

That felt good! I may have to follow up with another MORE=LESS post...I've got lots to say on this!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you started a blog! Great post, Sandy! Can't wait to read more of what you have to say! :) Love you tons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin. You're definitely an inspiration to me : ) love you too!

      Delete
  2. Sandy I loved your blog. I shoul have had "Cookie Friday" when you were griwing up. Keep up the good job, your kids are so blessed to have you for their mom. I can wait to read your next blog. Fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mom! You've always been my biggest cheerleader : )

      Delete