Friday, May 15, 2015

The Key to Solving Life's Problems!

Change is such a gift. Think about it...it's like a second chance; a do-over.  What if we only had one shot at something and that was it. Think of your first boy friend, first hairstyle, first major in college, first pair of curtains...we'd be doomed! Change is the answer to all of life's problems. If something isn't working, we change it! How great is that!?!

I do interior design (when I have time), and I love it! One of my favorite aspects of design is solving problems- with change, of course. I love to walk into a space and identify what isn't working in a room and fix it. It's not merely making something look better, it's changing the way things function, which can totally change the way you live. I recently solved two problems in my own house that I'm thrilled about! Let me share.

Problem#1: We have a tradition of inviting friends over for dinner a few times a month. Not that I'm a fantastic cook but I do love to sit around a pretty table and share food with friends old and new. So, we have temporarily moved into a pretty small home (I'll share that story another time) which has forced us to be very careful with how we use our limited space. Problem #1 came when we realized that our dining table is just too wide for the designated dining space. You have to ask everybody to tuck their chairs in as far as possible and then contort your body in such a way that your belly button touches your back bone in order to be able to squeeze by. Needless to say, not working! There was no possible way that we could continue to eat like this, let alone have friends over. Problem! The catalyst for change came when we somewhat accidentally invited 6 adults over for diner on the same night!

I thought about replacing my nice oak table with a cheesy folding table but that was a terrible idea. I thought about temporarily pulling the table out into the entry...still no good. I really had to think outside the box (or designated floor plan, anyway). Then it came to me...I would swap out the living room area for the dining area! It's all one great-room, so it shares the same space, but the living room area is bigger than the dining area. I decided that I valued our family dining experience more than lounging on the couch (which we rarely do together and could also be done upstairs); change ensued! I pulled all my "cookies" downstairs and they helped me move couches, rugs, lamps, everything. We decided to keep it a surprise for my husband : )




We all love the result! We have plenty of room around the table and it feels super special near the fireplace, even when it's not on. The living room feels very intimate and we actually end of spending a whole lot more time hanging out there. I'm finding that I really do love small spaces! They make me feel happy. Problem #1...Solved!

And speaking of small spaces...

Problem #2:  3 growing boys sharing 1 room (along with 5 amphibians) just wasn't working. My "Cookie#2" simply was not enjoying all of the family togetherness. He needed a place to call his own and he was tired of cleaning his brothers' messes; I don't blame him. I could tell it was really bringing him down. I knew we needed to make a change. But what? I can't create a bedroom out of nothing...or can I?

So, downstairs we have a small coat closet tucked in around a corner, under the stairs (yes, think Harry Potter). I just knew if I emptied it, I could make a cozy corner for my boy. I did just that. I cleaned it out, draped fabric from the ceiling and swooped it back against the wall to act as a headboard (I seriously just used pushpins and threw the fabric up on the wall). I hung a picture, placed a cushion on the floor with a few comfy pillows, added a lamp and his favorite books and ...TADA, he has his own space. He even calls it his bedroom (which I feel a litle funny about). But no, it's totally like camping out every single night, which totally works for this child. Problem #2...Solved.



Change is funny; sometimes we resist it when really it may be just the answer we're looking for. It may appear as though we don't have any alternatives but that is when we need to get creative. We have to look outside the box (or the designated floor plan, anyway). Don't let the boundaries restrict you! And this doesn't just apply to interior design; it can apply to our relationships, our diet, our traditions, our routines, our job-Life. Embrace the change! It's the key to solving all of life's problems.

6 comments:

  1. You are such a great writer! Greg will be impressed. Plus, super creative. Great blog, Sand! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lindz! You're so nice to say so. This is a new challenge for me and I must say that I'm having a lot of fun with it. I've always loved your writing style. I'd read your blog!

      Delete
  2. I love it, you have a solution for everything. I think your mind is always creating. It is so fun to create new spaces, I enjoy creating living spaces in my yard, such as Grandma's Trailer Park, it drives dad nuts. Haha. I love your blog, it's inspiring and has given me as idea. :) I bet Luke loved his space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU are the one always creating, Mom. Where do you think I get it? Certainly not from Dad : )

      Delete
  3. You continue to impress me, dear friend. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just made me smile : ) I think about you everyday. Miss you, my friend. I wanna see pictures of your house!

    ReplyDelete